Saturday, May 30, 2009

School's Out!!!

Finally! The long awaited day arrived! The last three days were glorified babysitting, but it seems to be the trend these days. We had a field trip to Six Flags scheduled for Wednesday, and thankfully no one got hurt, arrested or lost, and no rain fell while we were there. It was nerve wracking to be in a group of over 300 teens, with about 15 adults in charge, but things went well. Most of my students weren't able to go on the field trip due to grades or suspensions, but I was in charge of 20 other students who all turned out to be gems.

As the kids got on the buses we all went out front to wave good bye. When we all went back into the building, the intercom blasted full blast with our principal singing an a cappella version of Alice Cooper's "School's Out"! What a hoot! She is always a surprise!

We only had one day of post planning, which was wonderful. I have moved many, many boxes of stuff into my new room, and then just walked out with the boxes everywhere. I will have to go back after my trip to South Carolina and work on the mess, but in the meantime....it will wait. Next year will be a bigger classroom, a new teacher "roommate" and a WINDOW! I hate windowless classrooms, where I have been stuck all year. Even a tiny bit of seniority has worked in my favor since we had a teacher retiring this year.

Mark is currently in San Diego at the Gene Therapy meeting (boring, apparently) and headed home tomorrow. Once he's back, I'm heading to Greenville for some much needed down time and lots of baby snuggling. Can't wait!

No comments: