Thursday, July 21, 2011

More hummingbirds...

I never get tired of watching the hummingbirds around our house.  I recently bought the third 25 lb bag of sugar, although friends in the area say that right now we're in a lull of activity.  Apparently the hummers feed insects to their babies and don't visit the feeders as often.  Once the babies are ready for nectar, I'm not sure how I'll keep the feeders full!  We have four 32 oz. feeders placed around our porch, and I have to fill at least two, and sometimes all four feeders each day.  Late in the evening right at sunset and for a little bit after, things get very busy on the porch.  I have spent time taking pictures of the hum of activity, but my next challenge was to try and "catch" a hummingbird in flight with the camera.  I wasn't sure if my camera would actually accomplish this, but I was pretty happy with my first day's attempts.  Please, before you think I'm great, these were from almost 200 pictures that were taken.  Thank God for digital photography, I would never have been able to attempt this with film!








Bonus pic:
Lucy and I had gone out to the garage and the kittens came running, but apparently they didn't realize I had Lucy with me.  This was the end result of Onyx coming face to face unexpectedly with Lucy!

No comments: