Sunday, July 25, 2010

More Visitors!

Last on the visitors list (so far), were my parents, Toby and Whitie.  This is a long way for them to come, and I wasn't sure that they would make it, but I'm glad they did!  I think they were surprised by how pretty this part of Missouri is, and how much it actually looks like north Georgia.  (I think maybe they were expecting Kansas!).  We had a great time during their visit!  Our first outing was to the town of Hermann, which is the county seat of Gasconade county, where we live.   Hermann is a very old town and it also has a lot of wineries.  It makes for an interesting day touring wineries, with many nice places to eat.  We later stopped by a sausage store in Swiss and sampled many varieties of sausage.  We bought some cherry sausage, which we haven't tried yet, but I can't wait to find out what they taste like!  Hermann has a large German population, who started the wineries, and also named the streets many unusual names that are hard for me to pronounce!Hermann also sits on the Missouri River, which is pictured below.
The next day we drove over to Meramec Springs, which is a spring where almost 100,000,000 gallons of water comes up out of the earth every day.  There's a place where the water just comes pumping out, and then it turns into a beautiful creek.  It is very picturesque and the water is nice and cool as well.  Unfortunately, we had had a storm that morning, so the water wasn't a crystal clear as it typically is.
Always fascinated by the wildflowers....
They raise trout to stock the river with, and these trout were being caught to the placed in the river.  I wish they had a restaurant there on site to get some wonderful fresh trout!
Mom wanted to walk across the pond and take a picture of the house from that vantage point.   I'm not sure if I've already posted a finished picture from this point.
The cloud picture of the day isn't a sunset, but a cloud formation that came up late afternoon.  I love watching the sky!

No comments: