Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Surgery

June 21st, the long awaited day of the first surgery to correct my foot pain. I had about as pleasant an experience that anyone could possibly hope for, everything was very smooth, on time, and pretty painless. The food was actually not too bad for hospital food! My doctor is awesome, I am so very thankful to have stumbled upon her, I couldn't get anyone to really listen to me in Atlanta. Here's a link to an article in US News and World Report about her... http://health.usnews.com/usnews/health/articles/060508/8maverick.htm

Here's a picture of my foot two days after surgery...the ball that is attached is this really cool pain pump that was inserted into the nerve prior to surgery, numbing it up just like an epidural would do, just further down.

And here it is a week post surgery. Most of the bruising is gone now, but plenty of stitches remain! This is definitely not a cosmetic improvement to my feet, but if the pain is gone (which it appears to be), then I'll show the scars off with pride. In two weeks I go to get the left foot done, repeating the entire process. I'm already not taking any pain meds, walking without a limp, and have done the laundry and dinner and grocery shopping since we got back from Arkansas. I was pretty sure this was the answer I needed, and wasn't worried about pain, since I live with it everyday. I'm very hopeful this will be the end to most of the pain that I have experienced since I was a child. I never really comprehended that everyone's feet didn't hurt like mine did!

No comments: