Monday, August 23, 2010

Scary antics....

Mark's latest project has been to install LED string lights on the purlin beams in the ceiling.  This required him to place the ladder in precarious positions on the catwalk, then to actually get on top of the ladder while precariously placed on the catwalk.  I'm afraid of heights...I try not to indulge this phobia very often, but admittedly, watching him do this project was difficult for me!!  I was able to snap some photos, and that was truly about the only time I could actually watch, was while I was behind the camera!  I stayed safe and sound with cell phone in hand in case I had to call 911!  The scariest aspect of this is that he actually intends to mount two more strands, which require him to be even higher on a ladder....UGH!  The good news is that his will is up to date....but I really don't want to need it anytime soon!

The lights are really cool, they give off a slight bluish tint in the lighting, and each 30 foot strand uses only 16 watts of electricity.   Our builder had told us that the high ceilings of wood can tend to get rather dark and dreary, particularly during the long winter nights.  His idea was to install lighting strips, and so we had outlets placed at each purlin for this purpose.  Mark found the LED strips and they were the perfect length to make it look right.  I'm perfectly content with the two strands (particularly if it keeps him off that ladder again!), but Mark wants the center purlins also lit, so I guess there will be another ladder adventure ahead.  Stay tuned for the finished project!
At night, with no flash.  The lighting is actually more subtle than it looks here, and I love it!
From the living room, looking up.

No comments: